Agoda.com – Now that our kids are getting older (and bigger) we often like to get two hotel rooms so we don’t have to all cram into one. We often use Agoda.com because it’s quick and easy, and they offer great deals on accommodation, especially throughout Asia. If you’re coming to Asia, Agoda is one of the best hotel booking websites that offers thousands of choices, great deals, and it’s really easy to make a booking.
World Nomads Travel Insurance – Living overseas full-time, we use IMG for our health insurance but for short term travel, World Nomads is a reputable and excellent company. Keep in mind that they don’t replace normal insurance, but they can cover you just about anywhere you travel.
Lonely Planet – Lonely Planet makes guide books for just about anywhere in the world! I have owned three different editions of their guide book for Indonesia. They are excellent! I especially like them for background information about attractions, maps, routes, and phrases for a destination. What I really like about Lonely Planet is how all their guides are available as ebooks, and you can even purchase them by the chapter (if you’re going to a certain city and don’t want to buy the entire country guide).
Rosetta Stone – Prepare before you go! Enhance your trip by developing your command of the language. From the simple to the complex, Rosetta Stone is a great tool to help you gain the confidence to share your ideas and opinions. Develop conversational skills to plan adventures, care for your health, and move abroad. Talk about government, work, movies, and citizenship. Discuss family and traditions, and celebrate success.
Photography and Video Resources
GoPro Hero 4 Silver
GoPro Hero 4 Silver – This is now my second GoPro camera. I started with the GoPro Hero 3 Silver, which I still use as a spare. However, the Hero 4 Silver is much better. It has the LCD screen built in and the microphone is way better. This is my go to motovlogging camera. It takes great time-lapses too.
Recommended GoPro Accessories:
- Wasabi GoPro Batteries – When I’m out on an adventure or just driving around town one of the most frustrating vlogging situations I find myself in is having a dead battery. With these guys that is no longer a problem, provided I remember to take them along.
- GoPro 3.5mm Mic Adapter – While the GoPro Hero 4 Silver has a pretty good built in microphone it won’t work well when motovlogging or in very noisy situations. For those situations I use this mic adapter to connect an external 3.5mm microphone to my HERO4 camera.
- Pearstone Lavalier Microphone – I use the Pearstone Lavalier Microphone with the GoPro 3.5mm Mic Adapter as my motovlogging microphone. The Audio Technica ATR-3350 would also make a great helmet motovlogging microphone. Check out how I use this microphone in my Helmet Setup Video.
- Audio Technica ATR-3350 – I often use this microphone with my GoPro when travel vlogging. It does a great job cutting out the background noise in noisy environments.
- Sony ECMCS3 Microphone – If I don’t want to have to worry about changing batteries and turning on and off the mic, this mic works great and sounds pretty good too.
- GoPro Handlebar/Seatpost Mount – This mount lets me securely attach the GoPro camera housing to handlebars, seat posts, forks, booms, roll bars, etc. Fits around any bar from 0.75″ to 1.4″ (1.9cm – 3.5cm) in diameter. It is a great way to take shots of yourself or of people following you.
- GoPro Tripod Mount – This tripod mount is for attaching your GoPro camera to a standard 1/4-20 tripod stud. It is compatible with all GoPro cameras except the wrist camera housing.
Apple iPhone 6
Recommended iPhone 6 Accessories:
- Olloclip Photo Lens for iPhone 6/6+ – In addition to this blog and Riding Java I have an Indonesian daily vlog recorded almost exclusively on my iPhone. I use the olloclip to get a wider angle picture.
- Joby Gorilla Pod Magnetic Flexible Tripod – This guy works great for holding my camera just about anywhere. Now with the magnets in the feet it is even more versatile.
- KV Connection Microphone Adaptor – This adaptor lets me use standard TRS microphones with my iPhone. Works great and is a good option if you already have a microphone that you want to use, such as the one listed above.
- Rode SmartLav+ – The Rode SmarLav+ is a great option for recording quality sound on your phone. You can use it directly with the camera app or with a voice recorder app as an external audio recorder. It is designed specifically to be used with the iPhone and Android phones without an adaptor.
Apple MacBook Air
Apple MacBook Air – This thing is light, thin and durable. It has traveled everywhere with me over the last two years with no problems at all. I have edited every one of my videos on it! I can’t recommend Apple computers enough.
Recommended MackBook Air Accessories:
- Seagate 1TB Portable External Hard Drive – Video and pictures take up a lot of hard drive space. I have been using Seagate portable external hard drives for years to store my video files and keep my Mac backed up.
- Apple VGA Adapter – At home in my office I like to spread out and open other windows on a second monitor. This adaptor is needed to connect an external monitor to my computer.
- Samsung Monitor – No complaints about Samsung monitors. They get the job done and look good.
Disclosure: I want to let you all know, that some of the links on this page are affiliate links, meaning that if you decide to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission – but that comes at NO extra cost to you. I hope these resources can be of help to you. If you choose to purchase through my link, I would be extremely grateful, and it will help me to continue to maintain this blog. Thank you!